Wednesday 8 June 2016

Serena Williams Shows off for glamour! -"Am I the Greatest? I Don’t Know. I’m the Greatest That I Can Be"

Serena Williams Glamour Magazine Cover

Ohh Serena can we ever get over your tenacity and ohhh that gorgeous dark skin that you do well to show off all the time..

She recently spoke with glamour about several issues..



And this quote below just resonates..
JulyCoverPQ.jpg

Read up her no holds barred interview below..

MELISSA HARRIS-PERRY For Glamour: You have been in our lives a long time, playing pro tennis for nearly 20 years. Is the game still fun?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Yes! When I first started really playing, in ’98, I was super excited to see all the people I grew up watching. … I loved Monica Seles, Steffi Graf, and Pete Sampras. ... Now it is different yet somehow more exciting. Everything now is a bonus.

MHP: You’re one Grand Slam away from tying Graf’s singles record. Do you think about it when you’re playing?

SW: I do. But it’s not the end-all, be-all. It’s something I would like to achieve, but I’ve achieved so much on the court and off already.

 You have been called “the world’s greatest athlete.” Do you welcome that label? Does it feel accurate to you?
SW: Oh my gosh, I don’t know. That’s so hard to say. I try to be the best that I can be every day. I have bad days. I had a bad day the other day. I hit for only, like, 30 minutes, and I stormed off the court. But that was the best I could do on that day. So am I the greatest? I don’t know. I’m the greatest that I can be.
More when you continue..



MHP: What do you need from a coach now? Do you need somebody who’s like, “OK, I know you’ve done the best you can do today,” or somebody who’s like, “Get back on the court”?
SW: I probably need that “Get back on the court” kind of coach. [Laughs.] If I’m not playing well, I do get down on myself because I am a perfectionist. [So I need] someone who believes in me more than I believe in me, someone willing to work as hard as I work. I don’t understand what no means or what failure means; I only understand whatyes means and try again means.
MHP: You and Venus were the original black-girl magic. People who do not know you feel a personal stake in every match you play.
SW: That’s something. I meet people who say, “Girl, I watch every match, and I pray for you.” I feel that energy and those prayers. Sometimes when I’m down on the court, in the back of my mind, I’m thinking, “They want me to win. Is there anything else I can give?” It encourages me to do better, to fight harder.
MHP: Does it also make losing harder?
SW: No one takes a loss harder than I do. In any sport. I hate losing more than I like winning.
MHP: How do you come back from a loss like the U.S. Open in 2015?
SW: I work harder. I study to see where I went wrong. But I carry the loss. My coach has said to me, “When you win a match or a tournament, you don’t even think about it—the very next minute you’re like, ‘Now I’ve got to focus on Wimbledon.’ You should take the losses the same way.” I need to look at those losses as learning experiences.
    
MHP: You’ve got Wimbledon coming up. What’s your strategy there?

SW: I’m going in as defending champ. So that’ll be exciting. I want to have fun. Serve big. Play aggressive on the grass.

MHP: You’ve also got the Olympics later this summer. Any concerns given everything we’re hearing out of Brazil right now?

SW: I’m not taking Zika lightly. Especially being older, I definitely am going everywhere protected. I’m protecting myself.



MHP: You and Venus were the original black-girl magic. People who do not know you feel a personal stake in every match you play.

SW: That’s something. I meet people who say, “Girl, I watch every match, and I pray for you.” I feel that energy and those prayers. Sometimes when I’m down on the court, in the back of my mind, I’m thinking, “They want me to win. Is there anything else I can give?” It encourages me to do better, to fight harder.

MHP: Does it also make losing harder?

SW: No one takes a loss harder than I do. In any sport. I hate losing more than I like winning.

MHP: How do you come back from a loss like the U.S. Open in 2015?


SW: I work harder. I study to see where I went wrong. But I carry the loss. My coach has said to me, “When you win a match or a tournament, you don’t even think about it—the very next minute you’re like, ‘Now I’ve got to focus on Wimbledon.’ You should take the losses the same way.” I need to look at those losses as learning experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are very much appreciated.Thanks for Stopping by!

Need To contact me?
Email: shalliespurplebeehiveads@gmail.com

Twitter: @shalliebee